Good Evening! Today I had the honor to meet with Gino, a First Responder from the New Haven Fire Department, and asked him for a few tips of what to do if/ when someone has a seizure.
He gave the information listed below for when someone is having a seizure.
- Call 911
- If family is around, please keep a list of medications that are currently taken and allergies to medications.
- Make sure there aren’t any objects or furniture near, that can harm the person, keep them protected.
- Do not put any foreign objects into the mouth.
- Allow for room to breath, ( keep a crowd away)
- When they are coming out of the seizure (post-ictal), they may be confused or combative, let them know they are in a safe place.
- Always take your proper medication, do not skip a dose.
- Get the proper amount of sleep each night.
- Try to eliminate stressful situations from your daily regime.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Very Important is to wear a Medical Alert bracelet. This helps First Responders know about your Epilepsy.
I want to take the time out and thank all First Responders for being there during the time of need. Gino, your knowledge of Epilepsy is greatly appreciated.